[COFF] [TUHS] Re: Conditions, AKA exceptions. (Was: I can't drive 55: "GOTO considered harmful" 55th anniversary)

Bakul Shah bakul at iitbombay.org
Sat Mar 11 03:47:29 AEST 2023

I should add that (compared to goto or setjmp/longjmp), by making exceptions a language thing, the compiler can attach more context to the exception event (or condition). In the scheme I outlined, the vendor library function must declare what exceptions it doesn’t handle and the compiler can pass more context that may not make sense to a library user but may help its developer pinpoint the cause.