[COFF] C compiler in 512 bytes

Arno Griffioen via COFF coff at tuhs.org
Thu May 25 15:26:19 AEST 2023

On Wed, May 24, 2023 at 06:14:42PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> This appeared in my news feed and hacker news.
> https://xorvoid.com/sectorc.html

Thanks!

I always also loved the obfuscated C contest as you could pick up so much
neat stuff and low-down info from that. Also showed you a lot of the underlying
behaviour in the C language and how compilers would 'fill in the blanks'
in several cases.

As students during my college time we regularly got into friendly
competitions to do the 'shoterst source xyz' or 'fastest' or even some
obscure 'smallest resulting ASM from the compiler'. Fun times..

Longest running one I remember was cramming a fully compiling and running
Conway's 'life' into as little C-source bytes as possible (excluding the
playing field data, but it did have to read that..). I vaguely remember it
getting down to a ridiculous 30-something bytes or so.

Again.. Thanks for the link. Definite reading material for a quiet moment..

							Bye, Arno.