[COFF] Any 300-Baud Dataset Systems Up?

segaloco via COFF coff at tuhs.org
Tue Jan 23 14:38:38 AEST 2024

Howdy folks, just finished an exciting series of repairs and now have a DEC VT100 plumbed into a Western Electric Data Set 103J.  I was able to supply an answer tone (~2250Hz) at which point the modem began transmitting data.  I could then pull the answer tone down and the connection remained, with keypresses on the VT100 properly translating to noise on the line.

Really all I have left is to see if it can do the real thing.  I'm keeping an eye out for another such modem but in the meantime, is anyone aware of any 300-baud systems out there in the world that are currently accepting dials in?  I don't have POTS at home but they do at my music practice space and if there is such a machine out there, I kinda wanna take my terminal and modem down there and see if I can straight up call a computer over this thing.

I've got other experiments planned too like just feeding it 300-baud modem noise to see if I get the proper text on the screen, that sort of thing, but figured this would be an interesting possibility to put feelers out for.

On that same note, if I get another modem and a stable POTS number to expose it via, I'm considering offering the same, a 300-baud UNIX-y system folks can just call and experiment with (realistically probably a SimH machine with the pty/tty socat'd together)

- Matt G.