PDP-11: Disk over Serial proposal

Warren Toomey wkt at henry.cs.adfa.oz.au
Sun Dec 7 14:15:41 AEST 1997

In article by Robin Birch:
> This shouldn't be a problem.  Thinking from a 2.11 point of view, if
> something that could load the standalone kernel was written and an
> additional deveice driver included that would talk over the serial line
> once the standalone stuff was up you could treat the PC, or whatever, as
> a tape drive.  Whilst this doesn't give all the frills of full disc
> access it has a couple of good thigs to it:

I was thinking of simulating a disk, as then we could manipulate the
disk image using an emulator on the PC end, and still use it on the PDP-11
end. I've made some changes to the suggestions I emailed, and if I get some
time just after Xmas, I'll try to get something working under v6. Then I
can port it up to v7 and 2BSD.

	Warren