PDP-11: Disk over Serial proposal

Tim Shoppa shoppa at alph02.triumf.ca
Mon Dec 8 10:14:41 AEST 1997

> Well, my KDJ11 systems are somewhat non-standard, so it's possibly not
> relevant. I can't easily check ATM, as they're running live Unix systems :-)
>  My point
> was that I didn't think the TU58 was in all revisions of the bootstrap ROMs.
>
> I know how to get the information (from a variety of revisions and CPUs)
> because I not only have the documentation, I used to be employed as a
> maintenance 'engineer' on QBus systems.

OK, then, I *think* the most complete official summary of hardware bootstraps is
Micronote #15, something that every Q-bus maintenance engineer ought to
have readily available...  If our esteemed list-owner will allow me to post an
excerpt from it:

*begin excerpt*

        +============+======================================================+
        |            |                                                      |
        |    BOOT    |                  DESCRIPTION                         |
        |   DEVICE   |                                                      |
        |            |                                                      |
        +============+======================================================+
        | BDV11      | Bus Terminator, Bootstrap & Diagnostic ROM           |
        |            |   used primarily with older LSI-11 configurations    |
        +------------+------------------------------------------------------+
        | MXV11-A2   | Bootstrap ROM set designed for MXV11-A board         |
        +------------+------------------------------------------------------+
        | MXV11-B2   | Bootstrap ROM set designed for MXV11-BF & MRV11-D    |
        +------------+------------------------------------------------------+
        | KDF11-BA   | Bootstrap ROM on board PDP-11/23+ systems            |
        +------------+------------------------------------------------------+
        | KDF11-BE   | Bootstrap ROM on board MicroPDP-11/23 systems        |
        +------------+------------------------------------------------------+
        | KDF11-BF   | New Bootstrap ROM for PDP-11/23+ and MicroPDP-11/23  |
        +------------+------------------------------------------------------+
        | KXT11-A2   | Bootstrap ROM on board Falcon                        |
        +------------+------------------------------------------------------+
        | KXT11-A5   | Bootstrap ROM on board Falcon-Plus                   |
        +------------+------------------------------------------------------+
        | KDJ11-B    | Bootstrap ROM on board MicroPDP-11/73 CPU            |
        +------------+------------------------------------------------------+
        | uVAX I     | Bootstrap ROM on board MicroVAX I CPU                |
        +============+======================================================+

                                                                Page 2

                        BOOTSTRAP DEVICE SUPPORT

        +==========+==========+==========+==========+==========+==========+
        |  DEVICE  |  BDV11   | MXV11-A2 | MXV11-B2 | KDF11-BA | KDF11-BE |
        |          |          |          |          |          |          |
        |          |  Rev A   |          |see Note 2| part no  | part no. |
        |          |          |          |          |  23-339E2|  23-157E4|
        |          |see Note 1|          |          |  23-340E2|  23-158E4|
        +==========+==========+==========+==========+==========+==========+
        |  RX01    |    X     |     X    |     X    |     X    |     X    |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  RX02    |    X     |     X    |     X    |     X    |     X    |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  TU58    |see Note 1|     X    |     X    |     X    |     X    |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  RL01/2  |    X     |     X    |     X    |     X    |     X    |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  MRV11-C |          |     X    |          |     X    |          |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  MRV11-D |          |          |          |          |          |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  RK05    |    X     |     X    |          |          |          |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  RX50    |          |          |     X    |          |     X    |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  RD51    |          |          |     X    |          |     X    |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  RD52    |          |          |          |          |          |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  TSV05   |          |          |     X    |          |          |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  TK25    |          |          |          |          |          |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  RC25    |          |          |          |          |          |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  DEQNA   |          |          |          |          |          |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  DLV11-E |    X     |          |     X    |     X    |          |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  DLV11-F |    X     |          |     X    |     X    |          |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  DUV11   |    X     |          |     X    |     X    |          |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  DPV11   |          |          |     X    |          |          |
        +==========+==========+==========+==========+==========+==========+

                                                                Page 3

                        BOOTSTRAP DEVICE SUPPORT

        +==========+==========+==========+==========+==========+==========+
        |  DEVICE  | KDF11-BF | KXT11-A2 | KXT11-A5 | KDJ11-B  |  uVAX I  |
        |          |          |          |          |          |          |
        |          | part no  |          |          |available |available |
        |          |  23-183E4|          |          |  on CPU  |  on CPU  |
        |          |  23-184E4|          |          |board only|board only|
        +==========+==========+==========+==========+==========+==========+
        |  RX01    |    X     |     X    |     X    |     X    |          |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  RX02    |    X     |     X    |     X    |     X    |          |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  TU58    |    X     |     X    |     X    |     X    |          |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  RL01/2  |    X     |          |     X    |     X    |          |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  MRV11-C |          |          |          |          |          |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  MRV11-D |          |          |          |          |     X    |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  RK05    |          |          |          |     X    |          |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  RX50    |     X    |          |     X    |     X    |     X    |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  RD51    |     X    |          |     X    |     X    |     X    |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  RD52    |     X    |          |          |     X    |     X    |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  TSV05   |     X    |          |          |          |          |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  TK25    |     X    |          |          |     X    |          |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  RC25    |     X    |          |          |See note 3|See note 3|
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  DEQNA   |     X    |          |          |     X    |     X    |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  DLV11-E |          |          |          |     X    |          |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  DLV11-F |          |          |          |     X    |          |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  DUV11   |          |          |          |     X    |          |
        +----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
        |  DPV11   |          |          |          |          |          |
        +==========+==========+==========+==========+==========+==========+

                                                                Page 4

                        NOTES:
                        ------

        (1)     The information in the BDV11 column refers to the Rev A
                chips.  There were also Rev O chips and an additional TU58
                chip that can be added to the board:

                Rev O:

                        Part numbers 23-010E2, 23-011E2

                        Does NOT support:
                                DLV11-F, RX02 as bootable devices

                TU58 ROM:

                        Part number 23-126F3

                        Inserted into socket XE40.  Other ROM must be
                        Rev A.  Allows use of the TU58 DECtape II as
                        a bootable device.

*end excerpt*

It looks to me like the only devices with more complete than TU58
hardware bootstrap support in the Q-bus world are RX01 and RX02...  and
RX02 is already supported for the standalone utilities in
BSD2.11, thanks to the efforts of someone who will here go nameless :-)

Tim.