PDP-11 Xenix

David C. Jenner djenner at halcyon.com
Tue Oct 14 05:01:24 AEST 1997

I guess I forgot to respond to the VENIX side of this thread.  (I
followed up on the XENIX side!)

I have hardcopy docs for VENIX/11 and VENIX/86.  I have never seen
disks or a tape of either.  I would like to get ahold of a copy of
them.  I doubt they are on the net anywhere, but if anyone knows,
please let us know.

This is another situation where a 2nd party bought a license from AT&T
(like Microsoft did) for Version 7 and then customized it.  Although
AT&T (well, SCO really) may be willing to donate hobbyist rights, it's
doubtful that the second party (Microsoft, VentureCom) would be
willing.  VentureCom apparently OKayed the use of the PRO version of
VENIX by "hobbyists", but I don't think there is a paper trail to that
effect.  The one time I contacted VentureCom (who still exists but
doesn't support VENIX anymore), they didn't know what I was talking
about and were worried about copyrights.

Dave