Bug in Bob Supnik's Emulator!

Greg Lehey grog at lemis.com
Fri Apr 3 16:41:11 AEST 1998

On Thu,  2 April 1998 at 16:00:40 -0800, Tim Shoppa wrote:
>> I suspect the FP emulation in Bob's Emulator, so it might be worth
>> watching the floating point values in the program. Bob mailed me during
>> the week, and I sent him a virgin binary of factor so he could verify that
>> there is a bug.
>
> More evidence of a bug is that 'vi' doesn't work right under Bob
> Supnik's emulator, either.  At one point Steven Schultz made some
> private speculations to me about where the problem might be, but
> I've forgotten the details.  Is it possible that these two bugs
> are both due to FP emulation?  Does the 2.11BSD 'vi' even use
> the FP registers?

FWIW, I've used the latest (and not yet committed) version of the
Begemot emulator to run 2.11BSD for over a week.  In that time, I
applied multiple patches to the system.  I did have some as yet
unexplained problems with the assembler, which Steven Schultz
considers to be due to the emulator (more specifically, instruction
restart), but Hartmut Brandt (the principal author) thinks this is
unlikely.  vi works as well as vi ever works.

Greg