Getting Files In/Out of PDP-11 Simulators

Warren Toomey wkt at henry.cs.adfa.oz.au
Wed Apr 8 13:33:29 AEST 1998

In article by Ed G.:

	[getting files in/out of PDP-11 simulators]
> > An alternate solution is to mount the tape image as a disk, e.g RK1
> > Then tar vxf /dev/rrk1	:-)
>
> Yes, this works well for getting info into the emulator.
>
> However, I was not able to use this method to get info out of the
> emulator.  In particular when I first got the emulator I wanted to
> examine all the files on the rl0 disk using the much nicer work
> environment provided by Linux.  Having tar write to rl1 fails
> around the 1.4 Meg mark (anyone know why?), whereas I was able to
> dump the entire contents of the rl disk to a simtape with no problem.

Some simulators open a truncated file, and then die once it gets to a
certain size. A solution here is to cp an existing big file over to the
desired disk image. It will, of course, be overwritten as you tar out
to the disk image.

Specific problems are touched on below:

> Here's what happened when I tried to dump the entire rl0 disk:
> tar: dev/console is not a file. Not dumped

V7 tar cannot dump device files.

> tar: etc: cannot open file

Probably your disk image has been corrupted. Use /etc/fsck if it
exists, otherwise icheck, ncheck and dcheck. For instance, the Supnik
RL02 image has got a small, recoverable problem. The Supnik V7 RK05 image
seems to be completely stuffed, and fsck gives up on it.

I do have new images for these, and I should pass them on to Bob.

	Warren