PDP-11 Addressing Modes

Johnny Billquist bqt at Update.UU.SE
Thu Apr 16 06:33:19 AEST 1998

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Ed G. wrote:

> The first line of chapter on addressing modes in the *processor
> handbook* states:
>
> "In the PDP-11 family, all operand addressing is accomplished through
> the eight general purpose registers."
>
> If I understand correctly, even things like immediate operands and
> addresses are represented as an addressing mode of a register, namely
> the PC.  I think this is quite cool.
>
> What do people here on the list think of the flexibility and
> generality of the PDP-11's addressing modes?  Is this a well thought
> out architecture in your view?  How are the PDP-11's addressing modes
> better or worse than those of other processors, past and present?

The PDP-11 did it right, all others did it wrong. :-)

Well, at least as long as you're talking about general register machines.
(And points could be made that the M68K isn't very general about its
registers...)

For accumulator machines, I guess the vote goes to the PDP-10.

All with a big :-) of course. This is religion...

	Johnny

email: bqt at update.uu.se           ||  Reading murder books