PDP-11 Newbie Alert --- (gotta start somewhere)

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.u-net.com
Thu Apr 16 09:08:26 AEST 1998

On Apr 16,  0:00, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> Sigh. Why can't I get the last word. :-)

If I'd been quicker off the mark with my 11/04, you would have :-)

> Eh? I'd definitely say that the Falcon was a PDP-11, it does sport a F11.
> Actually, it was called the 11/21, or something like that, wasn't it?
> But it was a board, and not a machine...

That was the one called an SBC-11/21 Single Board Computer, aka KXT11.  Wasn't
it a T11 processor?  It had ODT in ROM, not in microcode.  There's one with a
J11, too.  Was that a Falcon+ ?  I think there were three versions altogether.
 Anyway, I just meant that the Falcons weren't sold in quite the same way; the
ones I've seen have been used more like today's embedded processors, set up to
do a very specific task, rather than to run a general-purpose O/S.  I expect it
could run RT-11, though.  The User's Guide I have says the ROM includes
DD/DX/DY bootstraps, among others.  I've certainly seen at least one in a
BA11-N box with other DEC cards, though that particular one didn't have any
disks.

--

Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Dept. of Computer Science