PDP-11 Newbie Alert --- (gotta start somewhere)

Allison J Parent allisonp at world.std.com
Thu Apr 16 12:06:40 AEST 1998

<That was the one called an SBC-11/21 Single Board Computer, aka KXT11.  W
<it a T11 processor?  It had ODT in ROM, not in microcode.  There's one wi

KXT-11 was the t-11 cpu, duart (2 dl lines), PIOs ram and prom on one dual
width card.  It was designed as a bus master.

KXT-11+ was also T-11, quad width with peripherals on board but could work
as both bus master and bus slave.

KXJ-11 was the later versionusing the J-11 cpu.

< Anyway, I just meant that the Falcons weren't sold in quite the same way
<ones I've seen have been used more like today's embedded processors, set
<do a very specific task, rather than to run a general-purpose O/S.  I exp
<could run RT-11, though.  The User's Guide I have says the ROM includes
<DD/DX/DY bootstraps, among others.  I've certainly seen at least one in
<BA11-N box with other DEC cards, though that particular one didn't have a
<disks.

The were intended to replace lsi-11/03 and /2 cpus for embedded operation.
They with proper memory would run Rt-11 and could be used for a self
development system.  At one time I had one in a BA11-va (showbox) with
a RXV21 and MXV11 and it was a very good 32k RT-11 system.

I also reassembled a MDS-11A a Vt100 with a PDP-11 qbus inside as a
desktop development system for PDP-11.

Allison