The UNIX Heritage Society

Warren Toomey wkt at henry.cs.adfa.oz.au
Mon Aug 3 14:04:19 AEST 1998

In article by Greg Lehey:
	Michael writes:
> >    No, no, PLEASE get rid of that "preservation" stigma. It's like a brand
> > on a slave, a constant reminder of limits and constraints. Terms like
> > "preservation", "historical", "heritage", "primordial", "ancient", etc. all
> > suggest something of purely historical value. This is EXTREMELY insulting
> > to those of us for whom True UNIX(R) is the ONLY multiuser operating
> > system.
>
> I would have a problem being a "Patriot".
>
> Greg

Heritage means: that which may be inherited. I think this is appropriate,
as we have all inherited a wonderful system from Ken and Dennis. In fact,
we've inherited the UNIX paradigm, which influences the way we think.

My dictionary says a patriot is one who is zealous for his country's
freedom or rights, and a zealot is an uncompromising or extreme partisan
or fanatic.

I would also have a problem being a "Patriot". If I was uncompromising,
we would have no cheap SCO license. I don't think we need to retro-fit a
name into the PUPS acronym.

I'm still in favour of The UNIX Heritage Society.

For those unaccustomed to the amount of traffic on the PUPS list,
don't forget that you can switch to the digest version.

	echo 'subscribe pups-digest' | mail majordomo at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au

    Warren

	by minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au (8.8.8/8.8.8) id OAA12985
	for pups-liszt; Mon, 3 Aug 1998 14:54:42 +1000 (EST)