The UNIX Heritage Society

Allison J Parent allisonp at world.std.com
Mon Aug 3 23:11:02 AEST 1998

< Heritage means: that which may be inherited. I think this is appropriate
                             ^^^
                             has

Heritiage is generally historical in context be it previous or present
tense for the future.

Preservation in teh case of PDP-11 (and otehr 16bit) was needed or it may
have been lost.  One assumes the license grantors actually have complete
sources.  In the case of at least on other OS they had the license but
little of the code.

< as we have all inherited a wonderful system from Ken and Dennis. In fact
< we've inherited the UNIX paradigm, which influences the way we think.

True.

The key here is there are two types of OSs, retired(not commercially
viable or no support) and those that have commercial value.

Let us not forget Mike is trying to develop a commercially viable OS
that is not free or shareware.

Also by and large Mike is in the process of doing what other call
archeology.  One must resore and understand the structure before building
upon it.

The patriot stuff, pure poof.

Allison

	by minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au (8.8.8/8.8.8) id XAA14295
	for pups-liszt; Mon, 3 Aug 1998 23:47:33 +1000 (EST)