Emulex QT13 and related questions

Michael Sokolov msokolov at harrier.Uznet.NET
Fri Dec 4 11:44:38 AEST 1998

   Dear Tim and other Q-bus gurus,

   Emanuel Stiebler has pointed me to a message posted to vmsnet.pdp11 by
Tim a while ago, and there I have found the info on Emulex QT13. Thanks!

   Since none of my two non-working TQK50s is currently installed, I have
tried configuring the QT13 as the primary TMSCP controller and plugging it
in. Guess what, this time it powered up without that ugly 9! Nice! I
probably won't do much with it, though, since although I do have a 9-track
tape transport here in my apartment, I want to leave it alone for now. It's
enormous, by far the biggest piece of equipment here, and I don't feel like
playing with it now. Some time later maybe.

   This exercise does raise a few questions, though. Suppose some time
later I decided to use this beast. Suppose I wanted to make this QT13 a
secondary TMSCP controller. This and other very similar exercises require
knowing the rules for floating CSR and vector assignments. What can I find
the complete rules for this? My ancient UNIBUS DZ11 manual only lists the
earliest floating devices, no MSCP or DHUs or anything like that. I once
had some MicroVAX manual that included a table for "common configurations",
but I don't have it any more, plus I'm really looking for the complete
rules and not just "common configurations". Any ideas? Of course if I had a
KA655 or a KA660 I would just type "CONFIGURE" at the ">>>" prompt, but I
only have a plain 650 which doesn't have this luxury.

   Also looking at the configuration of this QT13 board, I noticed that it
was originally configured for trailing edge strobe. Tim's notes indicate
that this is for Kennedy 9300 only and that the rest should use leading
edge strobe. The tape transport I have here is labeled as CDC KEYSTONE. Is
this another name for Kennedy 9300 or a different beast? Does anyone know
anything about this transport?

   Sincerely,
   Michael Sokolov
   Cellular phone: 216-217-2579
   ARPA Internet SMTP mail: msokolov at harrier.Uznet.NET

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.1/8.9.1) id NAA28457
	for pups-liszt; Fri, 4 Dec 1998 13:14:10 +1100 (EST)