9-track tape interfaces

Greg Lehey grog at lemis.com
Tue Dec 8 19:06:34 AEST 1998

On Tuesday,  8 December 1998 at 19:49:40 +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On 8 Dec 1998, Michael Sokolov wrote:
>>> (I'm sure someone will now chime in about the days when Univac
>>> UniServo drives ruled the earth...)
>>
>>    Just out of curiosity, what are they?
>
> Big BIG tape drives - real Sci-Fi material :-)

UniServo was UNIVAC's name for all its tape drives, at least as long
as I was involved with them.  They were all vacuum column jobs, but
some were definitely ``cheap'' ones, such as the UniServo 6 and 12,
which were intended for smaller machines.  IIRC the latest ``big''
ones were the UniServo 16 and 20, at least when I was still involved
with UNIVAC.

Greg
finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.1/8.9.1) id BAA18425
	for pups-liszt; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 01:02:41 +1100 (EST)