PDP-11/73 problems

Erin W. Corliss erin at coffee.corliss.net
Tue Dec 15 08:31:14 AEST 1998

I recently bought a PDP-11/73.  It has one RD-52A MFM hard drive that
boots up to RSTS, eight serial ports (besides the console), and what looks
like a SCSI connector on the back (labeled TK25, so I assume this is the
tape drive connector).

I have connected it to my PC and I am able to either boot it up from the
hard drive or start up into the ROM monitor.  Unfortunately, at this point
I can't continue because the PDP won't receive anything through the
console serial port.

Does anybody know if there are any quirks about the serial port on this
machine that would cause this (if, for instance, the PDP-11 required some
sort of handshaking that my PC doesn't do).  Also, there is a block of dip
switches on the CPU card that appear to affect booting and serial port
stuff.  Does anyone know where there is a list of what these switches
control?  Furthermore....  Between the cryptically labeled switch that
chooses monitor or boot mode and the knob that changes the baud rate is a
knob with three settings labeled with an arrow, a talking head, and an
uppercase T with an arrow orbiting it.  What does this knob do?

Finally, assuming that the UART on the CPU board is fried and the entire
CPU board needs to be replaced before it will work again, what are the
chances I could get someone who has the Unix source code to compile me a
kernel that uses one of the other serial ports as the console?

Thanks in advance for all of the help that I know you people will send me.
8^)

	-- Erin Corliss

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.1/8.9.1) id JAA15515
	for pups-liszt; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 09:30:03 +1100 (EST)