Unix History Diagram

Greg Lehey grog at lemis.com
Tue Dec 15 17:36:15 AEST 1998

On Tuesday, 15 December 1998 at 10:44:25 +1100, Warren Toomey wrote:
> All,
>
> I was thinking of trying to update my `History of UNIX' diagram at
> http://minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au/TUHS/Images/unixtimeline.gif, to bring it up
> to date and make it more accurate. The current status of my update is at:
>
> 	http://minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au/Unix_History/
>
> I'm missing details on many of the commercial versions of UNIX:
>
>> SunOS/Solaris
>> SysVR4.x
>> Ultrix
>> Xenix
>> Unixware :-)
>> BSDI stuff
>> lots more
>
> If anybody can supply release dates and relationships for systems that I
> don't have yet, could you email them to me with a reference where possible.

OK, I've dragged out some old tapes which may be of some interest:

Tandem NonStop UX for Tandem LXN (68020), effectively System V.2, 10
April 1987.

Tandem NonStop-UX B00 for Tandem LXN (68020), effectively System
V.3.0, dated 22 August 1989.

Tandem NonStop-UX B10 for Tandem LXN (68020), effectively System
V.3.1, dated 20 September 1989.

Consensys UNIX System V.4.2.1.0, in PaCkAgE DaTaStReAm mode (yup,
that's what it says).  I'm not sure how reliable this is, but the
first package has the PSTAMP destiny921114141358, which presumably can
be interpreted as a date; certainly it's plausible.

BSD BSD/386, version 0.3.2.  The tar archive has the date Feb 28 09:18
1992 on the first few files; presumably this is US MST.

Univel Unixware 1.0, also this funny PaCkAgE DaTaStReAm.  This one has
a PSTAMP=SVR4.2 11/02/92.  I'd assume that they really meant 2
November 1992.

I've got a number of old CDs which I haven't looked at yet.  I'd guess
that I have most FreeBSD releases, and we can find the rest.

Greg
finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.1/8.9.1) id AAA18317
	for pups-liszt; Wed, 16 Dec 1998 00:22:36 +1100 (EST)