Unix History Diagram --- AOS quirks

User Rdkeys Robert D. Keys rdkeys at seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Wed Dec 16 06:05:16 AEST 1998

> On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, User Rdkeys Robert D. Keys wrote:
> No, the ROMP (the RT's CPU) is a RISC CPU.

OK.

> > Yes, there was an IBM'er that said he had some original tapes.  I was
> > hoping he would check with someone at IBM to see what the status was.
>
> That would probably be me.  I'm still looking - I have a call in right now
> to someone who might be able to help.

Oh, now that might be interesting.  Maybe the old AOS BSD will roll again!

> > There was a group at Carnegie-Mellon that had some machines with AOS,
> > but I don't have any pointers to anyone up there, for sure.
>
> Best bet would probably be someone at the ITC or the CS department, or the
> Andrew Consortium.  Don't really know many of those folks anymore, though,
> and not sure if anyone from the right time period is still around.

All I could find was one more recent fellow that had a ROMP board and
a set of BSD tapes for it, but he had not apparently gotten it running.
Also, most of the original folks seemed to be gone.  Most everyone
I have run into has wanted to run AIX on the RT hardware instead of BSD.
I am beginning to feel like the odd man out if I shun AIX on the RT.

> I have one in my living room....

Gee, that make 3 extant boards and 1 real live machine!  Neato!
Have you had yours up with a BSD?  Anyone for a BSD rolling party?
Sounds like a little interest, maybe?

I wish Blue would donate that to the PUPS archives, yup, yup, yup.
That would be a nice gesture, and ought to be worth some PR brownies
for them.  Technically, would that not fall under the Ancient Unix,
umbrella, anyway?  That would be a legalese mumbo jumbo to sort out,
though, and not my forte.

Bob

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.1/8.9.1) id IAA20667
	for pups-liszt; Wed, 16 Dec 1998 08:17:30 +1100 (EST)