PDP UNIX and CD-ROMs

Warren Toomey wkt at henry.cs.adfa.oz.au
Mon Mar 2 07:47:07 AEST 1998

All,
	re the question `Are CD-ROMs the best method of distributing the
PUPS archive of PDP-11 UNIX material'? The answer is: it's a good method, for
the following reasons:

	+ you can't easily write over the CD-ROM
	+ impervious to magnetic fields
	+ the PUPS archive is always going to be changing, as I find and
	  add new stuff to it.
	+ the SCO license enforces that I get written permission before I
	  pass anything to a third party. Taking this in a conservative
	  fashion, this might rule out a password-protected ftp archive.
	  However, I'll check with Dion at SCO on this.
	+ we can only charge fees for copying and distribution, and cannot
	  make money on the CD-ROMs

Therefore, treat the archive CD-ROM like you would the FreeBSD or Linux
distributions on CD-ROM: they will go out of date, but you can purchase
new versions of the CD-ROM, and they should be relatively inexpensive.

Ok, so CD-ROMs are not the _best_ method of distributing the archive, but
they are a _good_ way of doing so.

Ciao,
	Warren