PDP UNIX and CD-ROMs

Warren Toomey wkt at henry.cs.adfa.oz.au
Mon Mar 2 08:38:33 AEST 1998

In article by Chris Drake:
> >Ok, so CD-ROMs are not the _best_ method of distributing the archive, but
> >they are a _good_ way of doing so.
>
> Sounds good to me...  Just out of curiosity, got any idea how many people are
> on this list and/or might want a CD?  I may have a limited ability to cut
> some at work, but not if we're talking lots.

I'd say at least 100 initially, and at least 300 in the first 12 months.
I'm trying to organise a bunch of people who can burn CDs, to keep the
individual workload down.

I'll be creating a Rock Ridge image using mkisofs from the archive here.
People who are prepared to burn CDs can either download the image, or the
entire archive. For the latter, I'll include a makefile to build the CD image.

Oviously, people who do mirror the archive:

	+ will be asked to burn CDs, and will do so,
	+ must be covered by a license. I will need either a signed
	  letter (on paper) describing the license, or a PGP-signed
	  email describing the license, before I can give access to
	  the archive.

Does this sound reasonable, everyone?

	Warren