Some PDP11 Q..

Tim Shoppa shoppa at alph02.triumf.ca
Tue Mar 3 02:48:04 AEST 1998

> I was given an PDP-11/84 but I have no idea what OS it has installed.
> __: ADA1: Load resident files
> A.DU0: BOOT from @   526  fp ch Memory size 2048kBytes v06.12.413
> __: INI0:  Start of RSYS !
> __:SU03: Update Common from SYSL !

It looks like a version of RSTS/E to me (but that's mainly because I
know it isn't RT-11 or RSX-11...)

> And another thing. This machine had a Wangtek 5150EQ tape streamer. If I
> look
> at the cables it seems to be SCSI. And the controller for the streamer is
> not manufactured
> by DEC. (There's no DEC logo on it at least.)
> It says B 01079 ISS.4 1984 CTS-11 CKK 3890 on the board. Is this a SCSI
> controller board?

It's almost certainly a QIC-02 controller, probably doing TS11 emulation.
The sure way to test if its doing TS11 emulation or not is to drop into
console ODT and see if there's something living at the TS11 CSRs at
17772520.

> There's a switch on the front of the CPU box that says "AUX ON | OFF".  And
> on the back of
> the PSU there's a switch that says "remote | off | local". What function do
> they have?

These control the 3-wire DEC power controller bus.

Warren may want to correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't non-Unix issues
like these best taken to forums such as vmsnet.pdp-11 and comp.os.rsts ?

Tim. (shoppa at triumf.ca)