Full Steam Ahead with License

Warren Toomey wkt at henry.cs.adfa.oz.au
Wed Mar 4 07:10:42 AEST 1998

In article by Tim Shoppa:
> > Another suggestion - keep a list of the licencees on the PUPS website. That
> > way everyone would know who they could exchange software with. Most new
> > stuff would probably end up on the site anyway, but during development
> > it might be good to know.
>
> As most all of the "new stuff" lately seems to be 2.11BSD-related,
> this brings up a (probably silly) question of mine: what's the
> relationship between the SCO license agreement and 2.9, 2.10, and 2.11BSD?
> Will the SCO license be functionally equivalent to a WE/AT&T source
> license (other than the per-machine limitations)?  In other words,
> are the 2BSD distributions "SUCCESSOR OPERATING SYSTEMS" in the language
> of the agreement?

2BSDs are definitely SUCCESSOR OPERATING SYSTEMS as they are derived from
the listed products (6th, 7th Edition and 32V) and are 16-bit operating
systems.

> Another stupid question: few of us (perhaps I'm the only one) have
> CD-ROM readers/writers attached to PDP-11's.  Will those who have to
> transfer the source kit through a PC-clone or other Unix workstation
> have to license the intermediary machines with SCO?  In other words,
> will the intermediary machines need to be registered as "DESIGNATED
> CPU"s?

My interpretation is this:

	DESIGNATED CPU means all CPUs licensed as such for a specific
	SOURCE CODE PRODUCT.

	SCO grants to LICENSEE a personal, nontransferable and
	nonexclusive right to use, in the AUTHORIZED COUNTRY, each SOURCE
	CODE PRODUCT identified in Section 3 of this Agreement, solely
	for personal use [..] and solely on or in conjunction with
	DESIGNATED CPUs [...]. Such right to use includes the right to
	modify such SOURCE CODE PRODUCT and to prepare DERIVED BINARY PRODUCT
	based on such SOURCE CODE PRODUCT,

In my opinion, you can't USE the source code unless you have a CPU which
run the machine code which is produced by the source code. I can't prepare
a DERIVED BINARY PRODUCT if I don't have a PDP-11 or an emulator of such.

I'd better check with Dion.

	Warren