Hardware guru needed!

Stacy Minkin stacy at asia.uznet.net
Thu Mar 5 17:59:48 AEST 1998

Hi dear PUPS!
It is about one week gone from the mome I got
sufficiently powerful PDP-11. Before this I ran LSI-11/02 under RT-11
and couldn't think about unix. Those new machine is the
main reason for joining to this list for me.
It includes: KDF-11 CPU, RQDX3, DHQ11 8 line async option,
TQK70 tape controller, 1.5Mbyte of memory etc. etc.
I  also have the complete BSD2.9 source distribution
in tar file and like to run all of the above.
Currently I've started KDF11 and it seems to be ok.
Problems are: It has lots of switches (the same for MSV-11 boards and
RQDX3 and all of that) and have very little docs about
how to set it correctly. When I tried to bring up the KDF with memory
at once KDF said : no memory :-] but it runs ok with
little 32K memory board from LSI-11/2 ! Seems to me that my MSV-11 boards
have wrong starting address settings or something...
Same story with RQDX3 - currently I have no RDx disks so I thought
that boot my system from RX50 is not a bad idea... I've plugged
standard 5 inch floppy to RQDX3 sig. dist. connector labeled "RX50"
and fired up the machine. Got nothing. I tried to investigate
what happens to bootstrap. I've detected that during init of
mscp controller it successfully undergoes steps 1 and 2 ( or maybe even 3)
but in next step it returns 0 in SA and bootstrap waits for eternity
when controller will enter next step... Looks like hardware fault, ha?
Then I tried to check my TQK70 board. It had nothing connected to it,
and I traced it's initialization sequence the same way. IT ALSO RETURNS ZERO
in 3rd or 4th init step!. Can anyone help with the above?
Sincerely yours - Stacy.