V6 RL02 images. Binary or Source?

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.u-net.com
Mon Mar 9 22:45:16 AEST 1998

On Mar 8, 11:35, Tim Shoppa wrote:

> A non-legal question: the system identifies itself as "v6" when it
> boots, but there is a "v7.h" header file in the /sys directory.
> Is this maybe really a V7 system?  Or maybe from an era when the
> trnasition from V6 to V7 was being made?  Datestamps on the files
> are from 1982.

That would cerainly put it well into the v7 era 9by thre years).  But there
were several differences, as I'm sure Tim knows, and some people didn't change.
 I'd guess this one has back-ported some v7 stuff onto what was otherwise a
'legacy' system.

I think the RL02 drivers were written in Boston for v7 (or am I thinking of the
RX02 driver?).  Maybe v7.h has something to do with allowing this driver to be
used?

> Note that although the system was generated for a 11/23, it's
> running on a 11/73.  The fact that it has more memory than "max" seems
> to confuse the system horribly when it goes into multi-user mode.  Short
> of doing a lobotomy, is there any way to get around this?

I don't know, but if anyone else does, please tell!  My 11/23 system has a
kernel panic if I try to run it on an 11/73 (by swapping out the CPU board).

> # LS GAMES
> ADVENT          CHESS           CUBIC           TTT             WUMP
> BJ              CORE            MOO             TTT.K           WUMPUS

Interesting... ADVENT is missing from my v7.  Any chance of a copy?

--

Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Dept. of Computer Science