V7 startup

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.u-net.com
Wed Mar 18 03:57:17 AEST 1998

On Mar 16, 22:05, Allison J Parent wrote:
> Subject: Re: V7 startup
>
> Well v7 binary runs seemingly well on my 11/73 with the kitchen sink
> (the extra and unusable accouterments).  It doesn't use much though!
> The Rl02 disk does have about 5mb space.
>
> One thing I'd like to do is have some additional storage other than the
> one RL02 drive I have.  I figure that could easily be a RX02 but it's not
> obvious how to add that (to V7unix that is).  The RQDX3/RD52 would be
> nice but I'll settle for a RX01/2.

I think I have the RX driver somewhere.  Might take a while to find, though.

> The other is the date is 1988... month and day are setable but year?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but ISTR that the dateset at startup does
just set MM/DD HH/MM and relies on reading the year last written in a file
somewhere.  If you run 'date' as root once the system is up, you can set the
year as well.

> The last one bugged me some... there is no shutdown!  To kill the system
> all I could do was make sure there weren't any excess processes running
> do a sync and hit restart.  I assume this is ok as I use the same method
> for venix on the pro350, so far I haven't mashed that system.

Mine has a script which includes a umount (you won't strictly need that for a
single drive) and a sync or two, and a little message.  It might have a 'kill
-1 1' to take it to single-user mode.  Other than that, just halt it after a
sync.

--

Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Dept. of Computer Science