More on Disk Images -> Disk

Greg Lehey grog at lemis.com
Wed Mar 25 14:31:34 AEST 1998

On Wed, 25 March 1998 at 14:36:28 +1100, Warren Toomey wrote:
> In article by Peter Chubb:
>>
>> In the Linux kernel, linux/lib/inflate.c and
>> arch/i386/boot/compressed/misc.c there's a set of gunzip routines that
>> could probably be adapted -- it runs in 16 bit mode (or ought
>> to). inflate.c is K&R C, so it should compile under V7; misc.c is
>> ANSI, but is small (just wrappers around gunzip) and in any case would
>> bneed changing to make a proper gunzip.
>>
>> I'll see what I can do.
>> Peter C.
>
> I think Steven described the main thing: will it run in 64K? I've popped
> some mail off to Jean-loup, who was involved with writing gzip.

I've done a little bit of playing around with gzip 1.2.4.  It works on
16 bit MS-DOS platforms with a bit of  tweaking, and I got all modules
to compile under 2.11BSD.  Unfortunately, I ended up  with a couple of
undefined references on linking, and I haven't had time  to look at it
in more detail.  On the whole, though, it looks as if it could be made
to work, maybe with a little tweaking.

> If we can get gunzip running in 64K on V7, I can then move it to a
> standalone program with minimal effort: the V7 standalone library
> provides open, close, read, write, printf, exit.

Should be doable.

Greg