What's TENIX??

Harald Barth haba at pdc.kth.se
Thu Mar 26 02:51:55 AEST 1998

> The box just might still exist somewhere -- I made an attempt to
> get hold of it after I realised that PDP11s were cool, but it was hard
> because it had been worth a lot of money once and the accountants went
> all funny about it.

Oh yes, very common scenario. Booted just for fun, see below.

Harald.

Welcome to Tnix Version 2.1 (rev b) on an 11/73

We recommend that you check the file system after TNIX has been
restarted. ( Checking the file system takes about 5 minutes for a minimum
system of files, longer for more files. )

Do you want to check the file system at this time?
Enter y for yes, n for no, or question mark for more information : y

The standard TNIX syschk command reports any problems with
the file system, but does not fix them.

The Standalone Utilities syschk command reports any problems with the file
system, and queries you on how to fix the problems.

Which file system checker?
   1) standard TNIX syschk             (reports problems)
   2) Standalone Utilities syschk      (fixes problems)

Please enter a number: 1
checking /dev/rhd0:
  ...checking i-nodes and directory entries...
  ...checking tree structure...
  ...checking free list...
  free list is ok.  rebuild free list?  (y or n): n

  75349 total blocks in filesystem
  0 bad blocks (0 percent)
  44112 free blocks (58 percent)
  22491 free i-nodes (89 percent)

TNIX shows the current date and time as
Sat Mar 22 23:31:31 MET 1997

If date and time is already correct, press RETURN.

Otherwise, you need to reenter the date.

The format for a date entry is [dd-mmm-yy] hh:mm[:ss]
Example:                        22-jun-83 14:20
Please enter correct date:      25-mar-98 02:34
Wed Mar 25 02:34:51 MET 1998

Do you want to remain single user?
(Enter y for yes, n for no, or question mark for more information) : y

Now entering single-user mode. To exit from single-user mode,
enter CTRL-D.
#
Do you want to remain single user?
(Enter y for yes, n for no, or question mark for more information) : n

When you see the login prompt, you can enter your login name,
"manager", or "root".

login: your login name  Logs you into your personal account. The account
                        must already have been created by the system
                        manager.

login: manager          Displays  information about common system manager
                        tasks, and information about the "root" account.

login: root             Logs you in to the "root" account -- the account
                        used to maintain system files.  As root, you have
                        full access to all files on the system, and no
                        restrictions as to what you can do with the files.
                        We recommend that you limit access to the root account,
                        and that you assign a password to the root account.

login: root
Password:
*                                                                              *
*                           WELCOME TO TEKTRONIX                               *
*                                                                              *

        USERS ON THE SYSTEM:

                ASSAR
                HABA
                MHO

        IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS, DO NOT ASK HABA IF HE CAN HELP YOU

# ls -ltr
total 499
-rw------- 1 root      58740 Apr 10  1984 tnix.old
-rw------- 1 root       9852 Apr 10  1984 boot
drwxr-xr-x11 bin         176 Apr 10  1984 tek
-rw------- 1 root      57584 Apr 10  1984 TNIX.old
-rw------- 1 root      58740 Jun 20  1985 tnix
-rwx--x--x 1 root      57584 Nov  9  1985 TNIX
drwxr-xr-x 2 bin         736 Sep 23  1986 lib
-rw-r--r-- 1 root       1024 Oct  1  1986 .hp_memory
drwxrwxrwx 2 root        176 Jan 30  1987 lost+found
drwxr-xr-x 5 root         80 Sep  1  1992 home
drwxr-xr-x 7 bin        4336 Sep  1  1992 bin
drwxr-xr-x 2 root        928 Nov  5  1992 dev
drwxr-xr-x 2 root         80 Nov  5  1992 mnt
drwxrwxr-x 4 root        128 Apr 19  1993 vaxboot
drwxr-xr-x 4 bin         480 Mar 25 02:36 etc
drwxr-xr-x25 bin         416 Mar 25 02:36 usr
drwxrwxrwx 2 root         64 Mar 25 02:36 tmp
#  shutdown
Wait for the message on the system console
saying it is all right to halt the system.
System may now be safely powered down or rebooted