gzip on PDP-11: not so simple

Allison J Parent allisonp at world.std.com
Thu Mar 26 07:54:11 AEST 1998

<Well, I've got uncompress working, but I thought having gunzip would
<be good as it gives better compression results.

The question is why?  Generally compression is a diminishing returns for
computational effort with 80% for the first 10% effort.  I can see having
it if needed to gain access to software and the current platform is the
only one.

For sim to hardware transfers simple works better...

Allison