Floating Point-The Results Are In!

Ed G. edgee at cyberpass.net
Thu May 7 10:45:41 AEST 1998

Using a new approach, I have re-counted the number of floating point
operations for the utilities contained in Unix's bin directory.
According to my results, many important 7th Edition programs such as
adb, awk and tar make heavy use of floating point on the PDP-11.

As you know, my first approach was to simple-mindedly examine every
word of a given program's disk image to come up with an estimate of
the number of floating point operations used by the program.

I would like to thank those who pointed out the shortcoming of this
approach and offered valuable advice on how to achieve my aim of
accurate counts.  Based on these comments, I decided to create a
full fledged disassembler for the PDP-11.

I have tested my program and believe it produces an exact count of
all floating point operations.

In case you're interested in how my initial estimates compare with
the new, precise counts, I list those data below as well.

New Approach.
uv7 bin directory
Programs using 10 or more floating point ops.

graph 674
awk 657
spline 389
sa 300
prof 260
iostat 243
t450 222
t300 222
t300s 212
vplot 187
tek 185
adb 128
units 118
random 116
xsend 106
xget 106
tsort 106
tar 106
refer 106
quot 106
nroff 88
factor 88
ac 88
primes 78
poke6 62
lex 51
roff 32
as 18

Old Approach.
uv7 bin directory
Programs using 100 or more floating point ops.

awk 2540
refer 1644
xsend 1326
tbl 1315
graph 1300
xget 1288
adb 1152
eqn 918
enroll 915
neqn 874
nroff 841
make 822
spline 812
yacc 789
sa 714
tar 706
lex 628
tek 618
prof 608
t300s 604
dc 601
vplot 582
iostat 579
t300 576
t450 574
em 530
bc 509
ratfor 474
quot 452
tsort 407
sh 381
expr 380
units 379
ac 365
sort 358
ps 327
restor 323
rmail 321
ed 321
mail 321
ptx 320
egrep 313
ls 310
ps.old 306
m4 304
random 298
su 296
tp 285
ops 282
cu 282
diff 277
pr 275
poke6 275
sed 267
find 267
dump 261
deroff 255
icheck 251
ls.11 249
ld 246
login 240
cptree 230
passwd 227
login.old 218
cc 210
prep 205
at 203
dumpdir 197
join 196
wc 193
tc 192
nm 191
pstat 190
file 187
pr.old 186
crypt 182
date 181
grep 180
ranlib 174
fgrep 172
ncheck 159
checkeq 157
du 155
who 152
as 152
od 151
look 149
roff 149
ar 146
vpr 144
dd 141
tk 141
time 139
rm 138
cb 134
mv 134
comm 133
newgrp 133
dcheck 132
factor 132
rmdir 125
write 125
primes 124
cmp 121
dfOLD 120
df 120
size 117
v6sh 116
vcopy 113
nice 113
col 110
ln 106
sum 105
clri 104
cat 103
tail 103
sleep 101

	by minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au (8.8.8/8.8.8) id LAA09917
	for pups-liszt; Thu, 7 May 1998 11:14:32 +1000 (EST)