Floating Point-The Results Are In!

Greg Lehey grog at lemis.com
Thu May 7 19:23:06 AEST 1998

On Thu,  7 May 1998 at  9:55:29 +0100, Alan Bain wrote:
> On Thu, 7 May 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> On Wed,  6 May 1998 at 20:45:41 -0400, Ed G. wrote:
>>> Using a new approach, I have re-counted the number of floating point
>>> operations for the utilities contained in Unix's bin directory.
>>> According to my results, many important 7th Edition programs such as
>>> adb, awk and tar make heavy use of floating point on the PDP-11.
>>
>> I'll believe this when you pinpoint the instructions.
>>
> According to my paper copy of the UV7 manual, it is possible to run V7 on
> a machine with no floating point, and the main problem is when compiling
> say numeric code.  There's a short section on how to do a build if you
> don't have fp (like me on my 11/34).   I think the V7 manual may well be
> on line; but if not I can do a Xerox of this if it would be useful,

The Seventh Edition manuals are available in a number of places,
including of course the PUPS archive, but dmr has also put them on the
web at http://plan9.bell-labs.com/7thEdMan/index.html.

Greg
finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key

	by minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au (8.8.8/8.8.8) id WAA11609
	for pups-liszt; Thu, 7 May 1998 22:45:50 +1000 (EST)