What *was* the Tahoe?

Dave Horsfall dave at fgh.geac.com.au
Mon Nov 23 17:16:50 AEST 1998

On Sun, 22 Nov 1998, Kirk McKusick wrote:

> Tahoe was the internal "code" name that Computer Consoles Inc used
> for their Power 6/32 processor. Many of their early changes to BSD
> were labelled:
> #ifdef tahoe
> to identify the 6/32 specific code. So, when we did the port we
> just called it Tahoe because its prime purpose was to add support
> for the CCI 6/32 machine.

And, as I recall (I used to work for STC Australia who sold 'em) it
had the instruction set of a Vax, but backwards, if you know what I
mean...  The CPU was five boards, something like integer card plus
FPU card plus priority arbitrator card etc.

--
Dave Horsfall VK2KFU  dave at geac.com.au  Ph: +61 2 9978-7493 Fx: +61 2 9978-7422
Geac Computers P/L (FGH Division) 2/57 Christie St, St Leonards 2065, Australia