4.3BSD Rev 2 Foreign

Michael Sokolov mxs46 at k2.scl.cwru.edu
Tue Nov 24 17:03:05 AEST 1998

   Dear PUPS/TUHS members,

   I have analyzed Rick's 4.3BSD Rev 2 Foreign images in
Distributions/4bsd/43rev2 and converted them into the standard BSD release
format used by me as the maintainer of 4.3BSD. I didn't change the contents
of any files, I just gave the directory and all files their systematic
names (being systematic and punctual in packaging and naming is essential
to maintaining an archive of many different versions of software). I also
uncompressed and recompressed all files so that the names stored inside the
gzip headers are correct. Finally, I have created a tar tvf listing for
every tarball. The result is in /usr/home/msokolov/43rev2_f. Warren, please
put this into the main PUPS archive.

   Note, though, that usr.tar (file 4) is cut short. I have indicated this
in the BROKEN.TXT file. Also this is a "foreign" tape, meaning that it has
a slightly crippled crypt(3) and missing crypt(1). Given that this tape is
both a little broken and "foreign", CWRU's 4.3BSD tape images in
/usr/home/msokolov/43.vax may be a better choice for some people. They have
normal crypt(3) and crypt(1) and have absolutely no defects. (That's the
advantage of 1600 BPI over 6250 BPI. Rick seems to be having a really hard
time reading 6250 BPI 4.3 and 4.3-Tahoe tapes, while CWRU's 1600 BPI 4.3BSD
tapes read fine on the first attempt.) Rick's ones are Rev 2, though, and
CWRU's are not.

   Sincerely,
   Michael Sokolov
   Phone: 440-449-0299 (Home) 216-217-2579 (Cellular)
   ARPA Internet SMTP mail: mxs46 at k2.scl.cwru.edu