Looking for rationale of fs naming conventions

User Rdkeys Robert D. Keys rdkeys at seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Wed Sep 2 00:42:20 AEST 1998

I am curious as to the rationale and reasoning behind:

1) fs naming conventions

2) fs space allocation conventions

3) fs to partition mapping conventions

4) partition conventions

historically in unix (particularly the BSD's).

Why the differences between 4.3 and 4.4 as relates to var?

Why the differences between 4.3 and 4.4 as relates to the contrib sections?

Why the convention of hd0a/b/c/d/e/f/g/h for the various fs?  I understand
the reasoning of a/b/c, but after that the rhyme and reason goes wild,
with everyone seemingly doing their own thing.  What was the logic of it,
originally?

Why the sizes of the various fs?

I am trying to understand historically the hows and whys things developed
as they did.  The SMM's don't really cover it very well.

Thanks

Bob Keys

	by minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au (8.8.8/8.8.8) id DAA24452
	for pups-liszt; Wed, 2 Sep 1998 03:20:52 +1000 (EST)