The dsw man page

Warren Toomey wkt at henry.cs.adfa.edu.au
Mon Aug 9 10:47:38 AEST 1999

In article by Stuart Norris:

> Whilst we are discussing cryptic comments, can anyone explain the dsw man
> page in the 5th and 6th Edition manuals;
>
> BUGS
>      The name dsw is a carryover from the ancient past.  Its ety-
>      mology is amusing.

Delete using switches, from memory. You toggled in an i-node number on
the front panel, then ran dsw to delete that i-node.

A more authorative answer, I'm sure, can be found from the 1st Ed manuals
on Dennis' homepage: http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/1stEdman.html.

Um, just checked, it doesn't say anything about switches.

I will try to dig up a reference to the `switches' story. I have seen it
somewhere.

Cheers,
	Warren

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id KAA38687
	for pups-liszt; Mon, 9 Aug 1999 10:56:02 +1000 (EST)