2.9BSD: mbuf.h

Steven M. Schultz sms at moe.2bsd.com
Wed Feb 17 15:15:02 AEST 1999

Hi -

> I'm trying to compile a 2.9BSD kernel using the distribution from the
> pups archive.
>
> "make unix" failed:
> Make:  Don't know how to make /usr/include/sys/mbuf.h.  Stop.
>
> I looked in the usr.tar from the distribution, and I don't see mbuf.h
> anywhere.
>
> Does anyone know where I can find a copy of this file?

	That's not _all_ your missing ;-)

	Unless you have the 1985 Seismo (or Harvard - depends where you
	got the tape from) update tape to 2.9 the networking code won't
	compile much less run.  Been there, done that.  It was a fun couple
	weeks coming to the realization that the networking code hadn't
	been fully integrated and compiled in 2.9

	I believe the 2.9-Seismo update is in the PUPS archive (should be
	on the CD but my memory isn't ECC these days ;-)).  It's a fairly
	painful upgrade process because it changes the a.out header format
	for overlaid processes (goes from 7 to 15 overlays).  If you're not
	real careful you'll have (as I did ;-)) a real mess:  can't finish
	the upgrade because the old kernel doesn't support the new overlaid
	processes but you can't build a new kernel because doing so needs
	those processes.  Something like that.  It was "interesting" ;)

	Steven Schultz

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.1/8.9.1) id QAA11030
	for pups-liszt; Wed, 17 Feb 1999 16:24:28 +1100 (EST)