Contaminated srcs

Warren Toomey wkt at henry.cs.adfa.edu.au
Tue Jan 5 16:01:49 AEST 1999

In article by Steven M. Schultz:
> 	A good case can be made that stuff ported from 4.4-Lite is not
> 	contaminated (because 4.4-Lite had the legal blessings of AT&T)
> 	but I was told at one time anything based on the Net-2 stuff could be
> 	(is?) contaminated.  Alas by the time 4.4-Lite came out the software
> 	had bloated so much that very little of it can be ported over.  I
> 	grabbed a few ideas and pieces out of the kernel - that's where the
> 	"sysctl" stuff in 2.11 came from for example.  But the mainline
> 	applications are GNU based (megabytes and megabytes of memory assumed).
> 	I'd like to see someone getting GCC to run natively on a PDP-11! <grin>
>
> 	Steven

Just a thought: much of the stuff in 16-bit Minix was written by people
on Usenet and donated to Minix. The core stuff of course is owned by
Prentice-Hall, but there are some freely-available programs.

	Warren

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.1/8.9.1) id RAA08490
	for pups-liszt; Tue, 5 Jan 1999 17:10:15 +1100 (EST)