UNIX V6.TAPE

Carl Lowenstein cdl at mpl.ucsd.edu
Fri Jan 22 08:56:42 AEST 1999

> From: Warren Toomey <wkt at henry.cs.adfa.edu.au>
> Subject: Re: UNIX V6.TAPE
> Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:50:59 +1100 (EST)
>
> In article by alejandro gonzalez:
> >
> > Can anyone point me to instructions on getting the tape in: Ken_Wellsch_v6
> > up and running on Supnik's Simulator? I have been trying some things, and
> > when it gives me the '=' prompt, anything i type makes the program freeze.
> >
> > I have been following these instructions, the problem comes up when I
> > get the '=' prompt. I type: "tmrk", it just freezes.
>
> The 6th Ed installation instructions say: The tape contains 12100 512-byte
> records followed by a single file mark. Have you made the tape image for
> Bob Supnik's emulator to match this, and what configuration file are you
> giving to the emulator?

But the tape image also contains bootstraps for two kinds of tape drives
in the first 100 blocks.  Followed by 3 x 4000-block RK05 images.  More
than this I don't remember offhand, but I do have the "Setting up Unix"
document on a bookshelf somewhere in another office.

> P.S You can use the RK05 disk image in
> Distributions/research/Dennis_v6/v6root.gz, or the RL02 image in
> Bootable_Images/v6_rl02_unknown.gz,
> unless you really do want to install V6 from tape.

The number of people in the world who have actually installed V6 from
tape is probably pretty small.  But I am one of them, for better or worse.

    carl

        carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
        {decvax|ucbvax} !ucsd!mpl!cdl                 cdl at mpl.ucsd.edu
                                                  clowenstein at ucsd.edu

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.1/8.9.1) id LAA21792
	for pups-liszt; Fri, 22 Jan 1999 11:07:41 +1100 (EST)