Licensed microcode (was: KA650-B V1.2 CPU EPROM image)

Greg Lehey grog at lemis.com
Tue Jan 26 15:01:02 AEST 1999

On Monday, 25 January 1999 at 23:50:33 -0500, Michael Sokolov wrote:
> Let's look at things from the practical viewpoint, OK?

I think one aspect of a practical viewpoint is to acknowledge that
there are laws relating to proprietary code.  It's not practical to
break these laws, no matter what you may think of them.

> One of my goals is to establish a repository containing the latest
> available microcode revision for every machine supported by my UNIX
> system.

Fine.  Then negotiate with the owners of the microcode.  I'd guess
that it wouldn't be as difficult as with the AU licenses.  But don't
endanger others with your views on legality.

Greg
finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.1/8.9.1) id RAA14415
	for pups-liszt; Tue, 26 Jan 1999 17:25:56 +1100 (EST)