UNIX robustness

Greg Lehey grog at lemis.com
Thu Jan 28 09:10:55 AEST 1999

On Wednesday, 27 January 1999 at  5:23:58 -0800, David C. Jenner wrote:
> "Steven M. Schultz" wrote:
>>
>>         At least it's a different thread... ;-)
>>
>>         I had a UNIX system in my house that ran (and was working hard
>>         the whole time) for over 2 years before pity was taken on it
>>         and a beefier replacement system installed.  The original system
>>         was a 386/33 serving as a rather busy secondary nameserver and was
>>         never touched/rebooted/powercycled for 2+ years.  As time went on the
>>         load increased and it became apparent the system was overloaded (and
>>         paging excessively) so a P5/90 with more memory was installed.  A
>>         couple months after that the disk died ;-)
>
> I had (still have) a PDP-11/23+ that ran (still runs) 2.9BSD (with an
> honest-to-goodness AT&T binary license) that was my UUCP link to the
> net from 1989-1993.  At one stretch, it ran almost two years before a
> power failure finally got it.
>
> It was unusual to go that long without a power failure, so the limiting
> factor was clearly the power and not the hardware or software.  The
> system has a watchdog timer, so when there was a problem the system would
> usually automatically reboot, unless there was a serious hardware problem.
> Reboots were fairly rare and usually a power problem, so it would be hard
> for me to pinpoint the cause of non-power-instigated reboots.

I think you'd have to consider a reboot to be a failure.  Steveen
could say better than I, but I'd expect 2.9BSD to have told you why it
died.  2.11BSD certainly does.

Greg
finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.1/8.9.1) id LAA05599
	for pups-liszt; Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:10:03 +1100 (EST)