low-end vaxen and unix

allisonp at world.std.com allisonp at world.std.com
Sat Jan 30 04:45:43 AEST 1999

On 29 Jan 1999, Mirian Crzig Lennox wrote:

> How well can the so-called "desktop vaxen" run 4.3 BSD?  I'm thinking
> about systems like the MicroVAX 2000, etc.  I'd like to set up a
> system to run some sort of 4.3 system (maybe Michael Sokolov's
> Quasijarus distribution) and I've noticed the occasional desktop vax
> show up in places like eBay.  Is it possible to avoid the hernia and
> use one of these "2nd floor apartment-friendly" computers?

These are of the same or similar performance level as MicrovaxIIs and do
run Ultrix(DEC version of BSD) fairly well.  The problems you will have
is that the largest internal disk is a RD54 (159mb) and hard to find.  You
can also add an external RD54 if you can find the box and cables for it.
Performance as a single user system is acceptable.  Note that
VAXstation3100, Microvax3100 system are also of the same class but off
3-10+ times the performance in a 4x18x16 inch case and they have SCSI
interface to disks allowing for much more common and larger disks.

I can't speak for anything else.  I generally run VMS on vaxen.

Allison

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.1/8.9.1) id GAA16910
	for pups-liszt; Sat, 30 Jan 1999 06:09:12 +1100 (EST)