low-end vaxen and unix

Michael Sokolov mxs46 at k2.scl.cwru.edu
Sat Jan 30 08:49:42 AEST 1999

Thor Lancelot Simon <tls at rek.tjls.com> wrote:

> As far as I recall, stock 4.3 won't run on the MV2000, 3100, etc.

4.3BSD-Quasijarus will eventually. For now if you want to run the
4.3BSD-Quasijarus userland, run it atop of an Ultrix kernel. Will work
beautifully.

> There is a reasonable alternative.  NetBSD runs on the 2000, many 3100 models,
> and even the 4000/60, which Ultrix never ran on.

A warning for naive list readers. NetBSD's definition of "runs on" means that
you have to part with all of your mass storage devices and use the bare CPU as
diskless peering-at toy.

4.3BSD-Quasijarus will eventually run on nearly every VAX ever made? When will
this happen? To speed it up, subscribe to the Quasijarus mailing list and join
our team.

> It will also run 4.3BSD
> binaries -- in fact, in my experience, more of them than Ultrix will.  I
> ran Ultrix on a 3100 on my desk when I worked at DEC, and it was even odds
> whether binaries I'd built on 4.3 would work correctly -- remember, Ultrix
> branched from 4.2, not 4.3.

The fact that Ultrix originally started from 4.2 is absolutely irrelevant,
since when 4.3BSD came out, Ultrix fully caught up with it. As the principal
maintainer and software architect of 4.3BSD-*, I know this better than anyone
else, and I state authoritatively that the complete 4.3BSD-Quasijarus userland
will run perfectly atop of an Ultrix kernel.

Michael Sokolov
TUHS 4BSD Coordinator
4.3BSD-* Maintainer
Quasijarus Project Principal Architect & Developer
Phone: 440-449-0299 or 216-217-2579
ARPA Internet SMTP mail: mxs46 at k2.scl.cwru.edu
TUHS WWW page: http://minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au/TUHS/
Quasijarus WWW page: http://minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au/Quasijarus/

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.1/8.9.1) id JAA18025
	for pups-liszt; Sat, 30 Jan 1999 09:38:19 +1100 (EST)