When did the `dc' command first appear?

Dave Horsfall dave at fgh.geac.com.au
Tue Oct 26 10:33:59 AEST 1999

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Brian D Chase wrote:

> > 	-r---wxrw- 0/0            6846 Apr 14 06:50 1973 bin/dc
>
> Hmmm... did the permissions on files have the same meaning back in 1973 as
> they do now?  Group and "other" writeable system binaries?  Tsk tsk tsk.

I don't believe the concept of group permissions existed then...

> Well I suppose just because someone has written the Unix operating system,
> it doesn't necessarily mean that they're a very good Unix sysadmin.

On the other hand, people actually trusted each other, because you
all worked with each other, and it was common for someone to write a
utility and stick it on the system.  Hint: /usr wasn't called that for
no reason...

--
Dave Horsfall VK2KFU  dave at geac.com.au  Ph: +61 2 9978-7493 Fx: +61 2 9978-7422
Geac Computers P/L (FGH Division) 2/57 Christie St, St Leonards 2065, Australia