Viral Unix Compiler

J. Capp jcapp at wilkes.kp.net
Thu Jan 6 07:33:48 AEST 2000

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Warren Toomey wrote:

> I might ask Dennis for the details. From memory, the binaries never got out
> of the Labs, and it would have been around the time of V6. Also from memory,
> this was the topic of Ken's speech when he won the Turing award. I wonder if
> the article is lying around somewhere.

Ken's speech "Reflections on Trusting Trust", was published in the
Communication of the ACM, Vol. 27, No. 8, August 1984.  It describes this
"trojan horse" in great detail.  But I do believe from this article that
it was an example of what could be done, not necessarily something that
was ever released into the hands of the public.

Jim Capp

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id UAA48149
	for pups-liszt; Thu, 6 Jan 2000 20:09:45 +1100 (EST)