Sun release source code for Solaris 8

emanuel stiebler emu at ecubics.com
Sat Jan 29 13:21:32 AEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Jonathon McKitrick <jcm at dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To: John Rosenberg <jcrosenberg at earthlink.net>
Cc: Greg Lehey <grog at lemis.com>; Joerg B. Micheel <joerg at begemot.org>;
Steven M. Schultz <sms at moe.2bsd.com>; <pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au>; FreeBSD
Chat <chat at freebsd.org>
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2000 07:24
Subject: Re: Sun release source code for Solaris 8

> tough sell.  Several guys i know say the majority of new unix installs
> are Linux with few BSD.  They say the only BSD users that are growing
> are ISPs.

I think, that linux is somehow an entry in the unix world ;-)
After a while you notice, that *BSD is cleaner & more stable.

> Also, the white paper on BeOS claims that with all the new advances in
> hardware, modern OS's have too many layers, which they call 'silt', to
> allow them to use the hardware effectively.

Look what happened to linux & *BSD in the last months/years. They adapting
new technologies very fast ...

> They argue that only
> starting from scratch allows full use of modern technology, including
> multimedia advances.  How can FreeBSD keep up?  We don't have kernel
> threading and SMP support is still in the works, and most BSD features
> are 'add-ons'.  Should this be a concern for the future?

Don't be "concerned", build in the stuff you're missing ;-)

cheers,
emanuel