Future Direction for PUPS and UHS

Wilko Bulte wkb at chello.nl
Fri Jun 2 02:53:57 AEST 2000

On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 10:25:34AM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:

> So, I want to survey the mailing list here for ideas about the charter of
> the Unix Heritage Society, and a way of setting up one or multiple archives,
> mailing lists, web pages etc. as I originally envisioned.
>
> Questions:
> 	- should we keep one archive, or have multiple archives?

Multiple.

> 	- if one, what structure (divisions on platforms, on vendors etc.)

I'd distinguish by CPU / machine / vendor. Eg. PDP, VAX, Sun68k, etc.
Maybe one should also distinguish by source code / binary-only. People like
David are mostly interested in the sources, which I think makes good sense.
But if you find yourself with an old box a binary kit sure beats no OS at
all.

> 	- do you want this current mailing list to stay ``all-encompassing'',
> 	  or would you rather have more specific lists?

Depends on the traffic. One could argue a generic 'announce' list and
a set of platform dependent lists would be best. But maybe it is too early
to nail this down.

> One final comment before you answer. There's a very diverse bunch of
> people on this mailing list, some with strong opinions. Please be prepared
> to accept someone's comments as what they want, don't tell them that they
> are wrong, but let us know what you'd like to see.
>
> Many thanks,
> 	Warren
>
> [ now stands back for the deluge! ]

<splash> ;-)