PLEASE TAKE THIS ELSEWHERE (was Re: RX50 on RQDX3 on 2.11BSD)

Tim Shoppa SHOPPA at trailing-edge.com
Sat Jun 10 06:59:09 AEST 2000

> This thread has gotten *way* beyond what I (and I'll bet many others)
> read this list for.

I *think* you wrote this in reply to Steven Schultz's message, (at least
that's the impression I got from the headers indicating it was a direct
reply to his message), but that doesn't make much sense because what he
wrote about was *exactly* on target for what this list is about: Running
Unix on PDP-11's.

OK, his jabs at Solaris probably weren't exactly on topic, but let's
look at what else he discussed:

* The disklabel implementation on 2.11BSD and its roots in other Unices.

* The history of MSCP drivers in 2.11BSD and other BSD-derived Unices.

* Efficient use of DHQ and DHV async multiplexers in Unix.

* The history of sh, csh, and tcsh, some introduction to how they use
  overlays on PDP-11 Unices, and the application of split I/D techniques
  to their operation.

All of these are, IMHO, very worthy topics of discussion for a mailing
list about PDP-11 Unix, and they were all direct from the expert on the
subject(s).  What else would a subscriber to the PUPS list be looking for?

 Tim Shoppa                        Email: shoppa at trailing-edge.com
 Trailing Edge Technology          WWW:   http://www.trailing-edge.com/
 7328 Bradley Blvd		   Voice: 301-767-5917
 Bethesda, MD, USA 20817           Fax:   301-767-5927

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id HAA38149
	for pups-liszt; Sat, 10 Jun 2000 07:23:38 +1000 (EST)
	(envelope-from owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au)