PUPS/TUHS should not be divisive

Warren Toomey wkt at cs.adfa.edu.au
Sat Jun 17 10:28:59 AEST 2000

In article by Thor Lancelot Simon:
> On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 03:41:27PM -0500, Michael Sokolov wrote:
> > The line of True UNIX development is straight:
> > V6 -> V7 -> 3BSD -> 4.0BSD -> 4.1BSD -> 4.2BSD -> 4.3BSD -> 4.3BSD-Tahoe ->
> > 4.3BSD-Quasijarus
> I would like to ask that Mr. Solokov's association with the PUPS and TUHS
> projects be ended if he can not restrain himself from posting inflammatory
> material of this nature on the lists.
> Thor

While I do not agree with Michael's particular beliefs about True UNIX, as
I wear the hat of UNIX Heritage Society, I want to encourage his efforts on
4.3BSD-Quasijarus, as I do with 2.11BSD, NetBSD etc etc.

Michael, in order to ease the tension in the mailing lists, would it
be possible for you to write a web (or ftp) page describing your beliefs,
so that interested people can go read it. For example, in future mailings
you could say:

	As you know, I believe True UNIX flows from V6 to 4.3BSD
	but not to 4.4BSD, see http://xxx.xxx.xxx for details.

I'm not asking you to moderate your beliefs or stop espousing them, but
I would rather keep the mailing list inclusive rather than divisive.

For the other readers of this list, it is not possible to stop subscribers
from saying whatever they want. Therefore, if you feel offended, please
try to take any strong exchange of views out of the list. For example, you
might post something like:

	In article by Joe Bloe:
	> I think turtles are ugly.
	I disagree violently with this person's views, and I'll
	take this discussion off-line, so as to keep in charter
	with the mailing list.

I will also change the mailing lists's on-line charter to be inclusive
and not divisive.

Finally, we now have pups@ (PDP-11 stuff) and tuhs@ (generic Unix stuff,
which includes discussion on the Archive). The original posting, and all
the followups, should have gone to tuhs@, so please send your mails to
the right list!!!

Thank you,
	Warren

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id KAA89425
	for pups-liszt; Sat, 17 Jun 2000 10:32:05 +1000 (EST)
	(envelope-from owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au)