PUPS/TUHS should not be divisive

Michael Sokolov msokolov at ivan.Harhan.ORG
Sun Jun 18 04:40:44 AEST 2000

David O'Brien <obrien at NUXI.com> wrote:

> That is a fine opinion, and one understandable.  BUT, I don't see Joy,
> McKusick, or Lefler on your list.

Their work is an *extension* of the Ritchie/Thompson original UNIX, not a
replacement. 3BSD through 4.3BSD are direct logical successors of V7/32V
research UNIX.

> So why is it again that you do 4.3BSD
> rather than some System III/V [...]

Because I believe that 3BSD through 4.3BSD are the real trunk successors of V7
and 32V, not System III and System V (more affectionately known as Missed'em-
five as you can see in the Jargon File). True UNIX is Research UNIX, UNIX that
is for research purposes, not commercial ones. The AT&T Education Software
License I have buried in my desk somewhere prohibits any commercial use. System
III and V deserted this True UNIX mission, but Berkeley UNIX picked it up
instead.

Exactly the same later happened with 4.4BSD and 4.3BSD-Quasijarus.

--
Michael Sokolov		Harhan Engineering Laboratory
Public Service Agent	International Free Computing Task Force

Phone: +1-214-824-7693 (Harhan Eng Lab office)
E-mail: msokolov at ivan.Harhan.ORG (ARPA TCP/SMTP) (UUCP coming soon)