Help: PDP-11 instruction classification

Steven M. Schultz sms at moe.2bsd.com
Wed May 10 12:58:25 AEST 2000

> From: Warren Toomey <wkt at cs.adfa.edu.au>
> I don't know enough about the CIS extensions. Can you name some of the
> opcode names, so that I can look in the handbooks I have here: 04, 05, 10, 15,
> 20, 34, 35, 40, 45, 55, 60, 70.

	The CIS was a quite expensive option that was only available (as I
	recall) on the 11/44 and the later KDJ-11 based systems (11/83 and up
	where it occupied another socket on the cpu board).

	The CIS instructions are:

		L2D
		L3D
		ADDP
		ADDN
		ADDNI
		ADDPI
		ASHN
		ASHP
		ASHNI
		ASHPI
		CMPC
		CMPCI
		CMPN
		CMPP
		CMPNI
		CMPPI
		CVTLN
		CVTLP
		CVTLNI
		CVTLPI
		CVTNL
		CVTPL
		CVTLNI
		CVTPLI
		CVTNP
		CVTPN
		CVTNPI
		CVTPNI
		DIVP
		DIVPI
		LOCC
		LOCCI
		MATC
		MATCI
		MOVC
		MOVCI
		MOVRC
		MOVRCI
		MOVTC
		MOVTCI
		MULP
		MULPI
		SCANC
		SCANCI
		SKPC
		SKPCI
		SPANC
		SPANCI
		SUBN
		SUBP
		SUBNI
		SUBPI

	Try the processor handbook that covers the 11/44+11/70  - I think
	that's where the CIS is described.

	At one time it looked like where I worked was going to get a CIS
	board for the 11/44 to help with the COBOL runtime we'd written/ported.
	It never came to be ;(   But I did add the opcodes to the assembler
	and did some initial coding in preparation for getting the CIS
	instructions.   You do a _lot_ of saving and restoring registers because
	the CIS instructions expect many of their operands to be in R2 thru R5
	(R0 and R1 were used for returning results).  That's a pretty high
	percentage (~100) of the available registers ;)

	Steven Schultz
	sms at moe.2bsd.com

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id NAA76464
	for pups-liszt; Wed, 10 May 2000 13:30:12 +1000 (EST)