[pups] Networking With 2.11 BSD and Begemot Emulator

Steven M. Schultz sms at moe.2bsd.com
Wed Oct 4 11:59:45 AEST 2000

> From: Greg Lehey <grog at lemis.com>
>
> I didn't need to do this when I had the emulated net running.  I did
> set the netmask to 255.255.255.255, though, and put the default route
> through that interface.

	I thought you mentioned using the 'tap' driver rather than 'tun'
	at one time.   If my memory hasn't failed me that would explain
	why it worked since 'tap' passes ARP traffic.

	The missing piece I forgot earlier was on the hosting machine's
	side to publish an ARP entry for the simulated 11.

	Just after ifconfig'ing tun0 up use the hosting system's mac address:

ifconfig tun0 206.139.202.200 206.139.202.203 up
arp -s shemp 0:90:27:88:64:74 pub

	I'm not sure how ARP can be made to work thru the 'tun' device.
	Without ARP on an ethernet I am not aware of any 'routing' that
	can fill in the mac addresses in the ethernet packets.

	Try pub'ing the arp entries and see if that works.   Might try 'tap'
	instead of 'tun' if you're looking for something else to try.

	Steven Schultz